PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive but very effective Cleaner and Lubricant by 12guage

Shariq
02-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Hello
I tried the following formula for a lubricant and a cleaner by 12guage. Its amazing and works wonders. Earlier i used WD-40 and Diesel for cleaning my firearms. I urge members to give this formula a try.

Cleaner ( Solvent )
1. Automatic transmission oil dexron II or dexron III( e:g Zic ATF III )
2. Kerosene Oil
3. Spirit from hardware store
4. Paint Thinner from Hardware store
mix all of the above in equal parts in volume.

Lubricant ( better Lubricant formula in Post 11 )

1. one part of kerosene oil
2. one part of automatic transmission oil DEXRON II/III ( e:g Zic ATF III )

As with all Gun care products Plz use gloves and be in a well ventilated area when Mixing / Using it.

Sohail
02-07-2009, 06:03 PM
your proposition seems very economical as compare to the cost of WD40. thanks for sharing janab :)

regards

12GAUGE
02-07-2009, 08:01 PM
told you it'll work better than most commercial gun cleaners.

the lubricant works great too, but if u would like to improve on its performance even more, read the original thread/post. i've modified the lubricant a bit with amazing results.

Regards.

Ka_Khan
02-07-2009, 08:10 PM
Shariq sahib thanks for sharing your experience.We would like to know How you used it and on which weapon?
Also did u applied the 2 differently?

MUSTANIR
02-07-2009, 08:50 PM
BROTHER I M A BIT SKEPTICAL FOR USING THINNER AND SPIRIT AS CLEANER COS THESE MAY DAMAGE IF SPILLED ON RUBBER PARTS LIKE SHOULDER PAD,,, OR ANY WASHERS Or Or Or........

Conceal Carry
02-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks Shariq for sharing your experience, just a few questions if you could answer will help us a lot.

How did you used the cleaner, did you dip you complete gun in the slution? for how long?
Did it afect the outer finish in any way? did it gave the steel parts a yellowish tint?
Did it affect the colour, finish of plastic / wooden parts?

Thanks in advance.

Shariq
02-07-2009, 11:11 PM
I used this cleaner and Lubricant on my G17, Local TT and shotgun.

Ans:2&3 It did not affect finish of any of the part in any way. They look exactly same as they used too. ( except much cleaner :) )

Ans:1 I used a nylon toothbrush to apply and scrub the necessary parts and used T shirt patch soaked in cleaner to run through the barrel few times. After that i used a Bore snake for scrubbing. Then again i passed through the barrel dry Cotton t shirt patches till they started coming out clean from the barrel.

@MUSTANIR
On many different forums people endorse such formulas with similar ingredients and are using them without any trouble. So i went ahead and used it.

Shariq
02-07-2009, 11:12 PM

the lubricant works great too, but if u would like to improve on its performance even more, read the original thread/post. i've modified the lubricant a bit with amazing results.

Regards.
Will do that. Thanks

12GAUGE
02-07-2009, 11:16 PM
BROTHER I M A BIT SKEPTICAL FOR USING THINNER AND SPIRIT AS CLEANER COS THESE MAY DAMAGE IF SPILLED ON RUBBER PARTS LIKE SHOULDER PAD,,, OR ANY WASHERS Or Or Or........

Sir a cleaner of any kind will damange rubber/plastic parts regardless its a home brew or a commercially available gun cleaning product. however in my personal experience, O-rings, rubber recoil pads and polypropylene (buttstock spacers, execuse the spelling here) is harmess as long as u limit the contact with the cleaner to few moments/second. only prolonged contact causes any damage. i've even spilled this cleaner on O-rings on multiple occassions. nothing happened, i just wiped the cleaner off. the reason being that the cleaner doesnt have any industrial strength acetone or MEK.

How did you used the cleaner, did you dip you complete gun in the slution? for how long?
Did it afect the outer finish in any way? did it gave the steel parts a yellowish tint?
Did it affect the colour, finish of plastic / wooden parts?

1. no sir, no dipping is necessary, however even if u do dip it, steel, bluing, parkerizing, powder coating are totally safe. just a few drops of the cleaner on the dirty/fouled/gunky surface. i soak a piece of cloth in the cleaner and wipe/clean/rub the dirty areas.

2. it doesnt give any tint to the color of steel parts. no discoloration whatsoever.

3. it will not cause any harm to plastic parts as long as u limit the contact, for prolonged use it can cause harm. but for a short exposure, say less than 5 mins, no harm will come to plastic parts. reason being: I intentionally left out Acetone or Methylethylketone (MEK). these super strong solvents will dissolve any type of plastic (well...... mostly)

Regards.

Shariq
02-07-2009, 11:23 PM

Regards.
Plz can u tell me which number post has the modified formula for the lubricant. I can't seem to find it.

12GAUGE
02-07-2009, 11:34 PM
@Sqnldr_Shariq

Sir, post 1 on: http://www.pakguns.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1189

allow me to quote it here for convenience:

wonder lube
1. two parts dexron II/III (ZIC ATF III)
2. one part synthetic motor oil (ZIC XQ 5W40)
now call this mixture wonder lube

to make gun oil/lubricant
1. two parts wonder lube
2. one part kerosene

the resulting gun oil/lubricant will now have exactly: 44% DEXRON II/III ATF, 22% synthetic motoroil, 33% kerosene oil. with this i've increased the viscosity a little, i've increased the flash point significantly, i've increased the overall viscosity index of the mixture. plus with the addition of synthetic oil, i've added polyalfaolefins to the mixture. PAO are known for their afinity for metals.

one more thing: kindly use only specified brands, as all lubricity/viscosity tests were conducted with those brands only. the lubrication data that i got can only be guaranteed as long as the same products are used.

Regards.

Note: i'm not at all a representative of the ZIC oil company, not all in association with the subject/said company in any way and does not receive any benefit, either monetary or non monetary in nature.

Shariq
02-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Thanks. Will give it a try.

Ahsanfurqan
03-07-2009, 12:11 AM
thx i'll try this too

Shariq
05-07-2009, 12:47 AM
How to clean method for pistols. Use formula by 12gauge. 12g bro you must apply for patent now :)
http://www.wikihow.com/Maintain-a-Pistol-(Handgun)

HasanJamshad
05-07-2009, 09:36 AM
@Sqnldr_Shariq, defenitely this homemade ER(ED's RED) is a wonderous and the cheapest substitute available for the gun cleaning. Mr. 12 GAUGE, has done a great job by introducing this solution to the fellow members as some of us have benefitted directly by trying this ER and the others have enjoyed discussing it. I am posting the ED's own writing on this solution.

ED'S ARTICLE ON ER:

http://www.9mmlargo.com/eds_red.htm

Some people have done tests on these cleaners, here we can find the comparison and the effectiveness of the different solutions. Hope this will help in shaping opinion.

TESTS ON POPULAR GUN CLEANERS:

http://www.frfrogspad.com/cleaners.htm

MUSTANIR
05-07-2009, 11:48 AM
wonderfull info.... dats why we all love PAKGUNS.

Shariq
05-07-2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks Hasan for sharing,

Cap1
14-07-2009, 07:33 PM
How do you store the solvent? in a spray bottle? Shelf life is indefinite? Pics of the liquid and container would be nice.

12GAUGE
14-07-2009, 08:51 PM
How do you store the solvent? in a spray bottle? Shelf life is indefinite? Pics of the liquid and container would be nice.

the solvent can be stored in high quality/thick plastic bottle but i prefer 1 liter glass bottle. glass being totally safe for long term storage of solvents.

as far as pic are concerned will post them shortly.

Regards

ay_be_why
14-07-2009, 09:52 PM
@12G, SS and HJ, please help with this problem:

Have to clean up a CZ-27 1949-made. Hasn't been used in more than a decade. the slide has much of the original bluing but the frame(body?) has lost some of the finish. If you pull back the slide, the outer surface of barrel has lost its luster and slightly rusted all over. Inside of barrel is also uniformly rusted. According to a website, to strip it, its slide should lock somewhere in the middle of the pull, on an empty mag. Then the little pin near the top of the trigger guard is pushed through to the other side to start dis-assembly. The pin on our piece doesn't budge as if its welded...

Please guide about how it should be cleaned? Is stripping necessary for a thorough cleaning after so long a period? Can the cleaning mixes suggested by 12gauge be used in this case? If so, should i keep it dipped in cleaner/solvent etc? AND what is the level of safe usability of a firearm after such a long period of neglect and no maintenance? can't post pics right now because my cell with cam is dead... :(

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae62/pea_shooter/CZ27.jpg

I posted the same ram kahani in the thread Gun Rust but haven't got a response... :|

12GAUGE
14-07-2009, 10:58 PM
@ay_be_why

cant help u with the disassembly of the piece since i dont know anything about handguns. but things that i do know, one: dip the gun in diesel (I prefer kerosene or better yet WD40) over night, this will losen the stuck pin that you were talking about cause i believe that its probably welded now due to rust around it.

second. the cleaning mix that i've suggested will probably not work as Ed's Red was never designed to remove rust. however what u can do is dip a bronse/steel brush in vinegar and scrub the barrel rust off. infact, try this:

make a paste of vinegar and baking soda (not powder) apply it on the rusted barrel (inside) and scrub vigorously using a brush and apply as much of the elbow grease that u have.

Hope it helps.

Regards.

ay_be_why
15-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks 12G, will try the baking soda tip... i understand your thing about handguns :) so i needed your advice on the use of the cleaner, have been lucky enough to find a youtube vid about the stripping of this gun.

i have always sworn by WD40's ability to help loosen any stuck mechanism but it didn't do its magic this time with the pin-thingy... :( now will try diesel or kerosene. hope this won't hurt what's left of the bluing??

thanks

12GAUGE
15-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks 12G, will try the baking soda tip... i understand your thing about handguns :) so i needed your advice on the use of the cleaner, have been lucky enough to find a youtube vid about the stripping of this gun.

i have always sworn by WD40's ability to help loosen any stuck mechanism but it didn't do its magic this time with the pin-thingy... :( now will try diesel or kerosene. hope this won't hurt what's left of the bluing??

thanks

dont worry, diesel or kerosene is totally harmless to bluing. just remember, the longer u dip the better.

Regards

ay_be_why
15-07-2009, 10:58 AM
gracias senor 12G. gonna try it today and see what happens...

ay_be_why
18-07-2009, 10:31 AM
@12G, sir please shed some light on this issue:

I came across this thread at PakWheels regarding the performance of ZIC oils after reading your cleaner/ lube formula. Apparently, some users are not satisfied by the current performance/quality of ZIC lubricants. They fear that ZIC has either dropped the quality of their products or "DO NUMBER" ZIC products are being sold in the market. If there is really some problem with the quality of these oils, how will it affect the performance of the lube that you have formed? or since a firearm isn't subject to the workload like that of an engine, so the lube will work anyway?? please elaborate.

http://www.pakwheels.com/forumreply_az_TopicID!71787~ForumID!10~pw.html

Thanks

ay_be_why
18-07-2009, 10:34 AM
and by the way, i tried the diesel bath for the handgun, worked like a charm. the gunk's all gone, the firing pin, the springs and the barrel's inside all shine like new. Thanks. haven't applied any lube yet though. can i rely on the light lubrication provided by the diesel?

Ilyas
18-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Plz post some pics of the beauty :)

12GAUGE
18-07-2009, 02:22 PM
@12G, sir please shed some light on this issue:

I came across this thread at PakWheels regarding the performance of ZIC oils after reading your cleaner/ lube formula. Apparently, some users are not satisfied by the current performance/quality of ZIC lubricants. They fear that ZIC has either dropped the quality of their products or "DO NUMBER" ZIC products are being sold in the market. If there is really some problem with the quality of these oils, how will it affect the performance of the lube that you have formed? or since a firearm isn't subject to the workload like that of an engine, so the lube will work anyway?? please elaborate.

http://www.pakwheels.com/forumreply_az_TopicID!71787~ForumID!10~pw.html

Thanks

incase ZIC has dropped the quality of their lubricants, we are stuck on square one. however if u buy their products from any reputable dealer i'm sure he will not sell "do-number" products to you for the sake of company's or his own's name.

one more thing: u can subsitute ZIC ATF with GSOIL DEX3 safely, as they are both ATF and if i remember correctly both had almost same lubrication properties. just contacted director at ZIC oil Mr. Tahir Azam, he denies any quality change by the company in ZIC XQ (the one i used in my formula). so, i guess we are good here

if u cant find 'em, just subsititute it for any motor oil that contains PAO's (polyalphaolefins) such as Mobil 1 (5w40 or 0W40) or KIXX PAO 0W40 by GSOIL

Regards

Hamid
08-12-2009, 11:14 AM
All four ingredients in the cleaner have different densities, and form three distinct layers when put in a container. Is that okay for a cleaner?

JUGAN99
08-12-2009, 12:12 PM
i will try it also

Bad Hunter
06-05-2010, 02:33 AM
AOA,
Dear All,
I have inherited a double barrel 12 guage gun" Geco".The part shown in attached Image is literally jammed[sad for me :-(]. However the barrels and Hand piece seem to be fine, although i havent shot a single round. Can any one please suggest how to fix it as i tried WD-40 but all in vain, Than I tried to unscrew the the part but could not go further as its clear from the image.So either some one please provide me any link / his personal experience for its self repair or email me exploded (detailed and all screw open)diagram so it will become bit easier for me as I prefer to do it myself. Other wise I will have to search any reliable and tested arm repairing shop in lahore.
I hope someone will response ASAP as I am quite depressed whenever i see my GECO.
Regards and thanks in anticipation.
BAD HUNTER
http://s2.postimage.org/2pEzr.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Ts2pEzr)

http://s3.postimage.org/xZydr.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqxZydr)