PDA

View Full Version : Project Magnum: DIY Improvements on .22 WMR Rifle

TAREEN
22-03-2013, 02:58 PM
I bought this rifle more than two years back and shot a little over 50 bullets during all this time (most of which was to re-zero the scope), thanx to its out-of-the-box inaccuracy. Every time I shot it, there was a dire need to improve on its basic shortcomings.

So, I tried to:
Improve its appearance
Free float the barrel
Add a second screw to receiver
Epoxy bed the receiver (again)
This is how the rifle looks as per the manufacturer's site:

And this is how it was before changes:

Improving the appearance

The rifle comes with maroonish-brown oil finish that looks more like cheap household varnished furniture.

The waterproof sandpapers that were used in the sequence:
A: To remove the paint finish till the wood was partially visible with blotches (this was a sensitive job, as not to shave off wood surface)
B: To smooth out the blotches and scratch marks created by the 100D paper.
C: Soft sanding of all layers before, during & after staining & clear coat lacquer.
D: The final rub to remove any dry particles from the final coat of lacquer.

So the thick layer of paint-like finish was removed to expose the actual wood grain...

Once dry, it looked like this

The rifle had a few dings from previous bedding session. The dings were created due to lesser than adequate padding when the rifle was held in a bench-vise.

Steaming technique was applied to raise the dents to perfection...

TAREEN
22-03-2013, 02:58 PM
After steam-heating...

Adding second Screw to the Receiver

Lack of it allows vibration and lesser bonding to the receiver to the stock even when bedded.

This is where it goes in the stock...

And in the receiver

TAREEN
22-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Epoxy Bedding & Free Floating Barrel

What I used for bedding. Its slow setting type...

So, here are the pictures of the final product with the said upgrades...

Indoor light effects

Daylight effect

Ahmad
22-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Great Work lala, On next visit, i hope we will see it in action.

Doktar
22-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Only one word: Beh-Tareen MashaAllah

Lion of Rahoki
22-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Very nice and hard work. Zaber10

Ameer
22-03-2013, 08:02 PM
excellent work sir

arawan
23-03-2013, 12:01 AM
Nice work done, great..........

Denovo87
23-03-2013, 01:14 AM
Great work Tareen bro; looks been improved a lot now get to range asap need to know what free floating n action bedding improved.

AK47
23-03-2013, 01:43 AM
This is absolutely marvelous!

It's nice to see what kind of innovative jobs our PG faculty keeps itself busy with when off from the forum for a while. Great work done Tareen bro, it's absolutely splendid.

I'd just like you to comment on what materials and brands you used for the final polishing job/finish?

It seems to me you chose to expose the natural grains of the wood first and then did simple lacquering to laminate it.

Did you use any wood sealer, and which?

Finally, I was just thinking if at any time - during the project - you had considered matte finish lacquer as an option as well?

Now looking forward to seeing some nicely shot targets.

Great job, Sir, keep it up and coming.

What I enjoyed more than the end result itself is the spirit behind the work and the dedication of time involved. Nicely portrayed.

Regards.

Fudgepacker
23-03-2013, 04:59 AM
That's awesome Tareen Bro, very nice work! I did not know you could fix wood like that with steam, no wonder you didn't seem upset when describing how the dents got there :) thank you so much for sharing! Could you elaborate on how you added the extra receiver screw, and also the bedding process. Thanks in advance!

Ka_Khan
23-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Welldone Lala TAREEN :)

Mig
23-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Greatttttttttttt.... one another DIY project. Brother...

And the best part is adding a second screw to it .

Aquarius
24-03-2013, 12:25 AM
Fantabullous work done there Tareen bro.

Naveed_pk
24-03-2013, 01:23 AM
Awesome work Tareen bro !!! Simply amazing. I can bet on this that even a good Gunsmith can't do the work you have done in an outstanding way. The rifle is a mouth watering beauty after your project.
Now waiting for the range review and most important the free floated barell difference before and after the project ;)

Faris
24-03-2013, 02:54 AM
this is amazing, what inspired you? any previous experience ? where did you learn to do all this?

Hamid
24-03-2013, 07:16 AM
Great work Tareen sahib.

TAREEN
24-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Great Work lala, On next visit, i hope we will see it in action.

Thanx a lot Lala. I think we should have the next session as '.22 LR & WMR ONLY' at range. ;-) Let us punch some paper...

Only one word: Beh-Tareen MashaAllah

Thank you brother! You have beautifully bedded my name in the appreciation. :-)

Very nice and hard work. Zaber10

Thank you brother. So kind of you.

excellent work sir

Thank you Ameer brother for your kind words.

Nice work done, great..........

Thank you Doctor Sb. So nice of you.

Great work Tareen bro; looks been improved a lot now get to range asap need to know what free floating n action bedding improved.

Thank you brother for the appreciation. Range session is very much due now. Being busy on this weekend, it inevitably goes to the next. But, InSha Allah.

This is absolutely marvelous!

It's nice to see what kind of innovative jobs our PG faculty keeps itself busy with when off from the forum for a while. Great work done Tareen bro, it's absolutely splendid.

Brother, thank you so much for such a lovely appreciation. I think your points will sure get me to do what I should have done in the first post and got lazy ;-). Thank you for completing the subject brother.

As 'Tareen' says (very very humbly), "In order to truly appreciate someone's work, try to replicate it!" The thought came to me when I used to paint photographed landscape & still-life pictures on canvas and Allah SWT's aesthetic marvels always left me in a speechless awwwwww.

In current scenario & context, working on components (e.g. autos & guns) gives so much practical feedback about the design elements, functionality & materials, its sheer pleasure. Sharing it, is a small way of contribution towards our hobby, enthusiasts & community.

I'd just like you to comment on what materials and brands you used for the final polishing job/finish?

Interestingly, except the weld of the nut (complimentary Rs.30) all other things were already on my workbench. I used the common spray can lacquer (Rs. 125) as this being a smaller job (surface area wise). Using compressor & spray gun is a bit lengthy procedure but definitely gets better results even with lesser passes. With spray can i had to give 6 thin coats to avoid any dripping. The absolute final activity on the gun finish was a careful clear coat with the spray can.

It seems to me you chose to expose the natural grains of the wood first and then did simple lacquering to laminate it.
Exactly.

Once the wood was exposed & dry from wet-sanding, it was given a hand rub with brown water color from kids' stationary.

That color seeped in the dotty grain and enhanced the darker veins in the wood.

Once dry, it was very mildly wet-sanded with 1000 grit paper to remove brown from flat light colored surface still leaving the dotted pinholes.

Once dry, it was given another hand rubbed massage with golden yellow water color again from the same arsenal. Wet-sanded with 1000 grit again.

One day to fully dry in shade & then lacquer...

Its important to note, that both the colors that I rubbed were almost removed when wet-sanding leaving behind a very light (almost invisible) tinge that enhanced the impression of relevant surfaces once clear coat was applied.

Did you use any wood sealer, and which?

No, nothing of that sort. The lacquer (having hardener in it) works as a wonderful sealer as well. Secondly it works great against scratches, dings, water & oil etc. Being designed for external automotive surfaces, it withstands all the abuse that is rendered to it.

Finally, I was just thinking if at any time - during the project - you had considered matte finish lacquer as an option as well?

I would have loved matte finish on plain base color. As the plan was to enhance natural wood grains & being fan of krieghoff's effects & impressions, I decided on this finish.

And unfortunately matte lacquer is not available in cans in our town. Though I use matte lacquer sometimes thru spray gun by adding a flattener to lacquer-hardener mixture.

Regards.[/QUOTE]

That's awesome Tareen Bro, very nice work! I did not know you could fix wood like that with steam, no wonder you didn't seem upset when describing how the dents got there :) thank you so much for sharing! Could you elaborate on how you added the extra receiver screw, and also the bedding process. Thanks in advance!

Thank you brother for your kind words.

The most important part (for me) in adding the screw was to get the correct length of the screw as the action base was closed in front of the nut & I didn't want to pot a hole in there as bolt slides on the other side very closely.

I found this old screw in my toolbox where I keep nut/bolts that are off from some vehicle or component as they are of way better quality than the ones available on our hardware stores. Secondly, most of them are having finer threads for precise tightening & more turns per millimeter.

The sequence goes like this:
After physically calculating the available depths & space on both stock & action, I got the nut electric-welded where required one spot at a time with wet cloth wrapped on the rest of the adjacent area and about 30 sec gap.

Marked the area where nut was hitting the stock in action channel, drilled equivalent depth with a larger bit to accommodate the nut without touching sides. Same space was made on the bottom just behind the trigger guard.

A hole was drilled in the center of that pit for the screw to pass.

AlHamdo Lillah it all went as a perfect fit without any corrections.

I will post a link to the thread where bedding is done. That almost covers the process that I repeated this time.

Welldone Lala TAREEN :)

Thank a lot Ka_Khan lala. Lucky to have your precious few words ;-)

Greatttttttttttt.... one another DIY project. Brother...

And the best part is adding a second screw to it .

Thank you so much Mig brother. Really appreciate that.

Fantabullous work done there Tareen bro.

Thank you brother for your kind appreciation. Jazzak Allah.

Awesome work Tareen bro !!! Simply amazing. I can bet on this that even a good Gunsmith can't do the work you have done in an outstanding way. The rifle is a mouth watering beauty after your project.
Now waiting for the range review and most important the free floated barell difference before and after the project ;)

Thanx a lot Naveed Bhai. I accept the gunsmith part as ​Love - exaggerated :smile: . Thank you. And you got the trophy to be the first one to appreciate my contribution. Thank you loads.

this is amazing, what inspired you? any previous experience ? where did you learn to do all this?

Thank you brother. Inspiration is more need based and then if you live in the same town as dear brothers @Ahmad & @Mustanir, the living encyclopedias on guns, shooting & gunsmithing, there is always and always something to learn & get inspiration from. And this project is being just one of them.

For example, the tip on raising the dings on wood were given to me by our honorable @PakistanFirst when we met recently.

Great work Tareen sahib.

Thank a lot Hamid Bhai. Good to see you typing after a long time.

Where is my Skeet machine... ;-)

TAREEN
24-03-2013, 08:25 AM
@Fudgepacker....here is the link to action bedding the same rifle...

http://www.pakguns.com/showthread.php?10415-DIY-Full-Bedding-A-Rifle-Stock

12GAUGE
24-03-2013, 11:52 AM
AoA Tareen Bhai.

Amazing display of "Do-it-yourself" improvements bro. the pictures are equally awesome as well. I'm sure after the bedding job the accuracy must have improved a lot. now there are a few things on my mind so brace yourself for some constructive criticism. :)

why use lacquer? it feels plastic-like, it will turn opaque over time due to UV damage and in high heat it can turn into a sticky layer of glue. on top of all that, wood shrinks and expands over time, the lacquer being a less elastic surface will eventually peel off. here in my humble opinion, boiled linseed oil would have been better. it also hardens as it polymerizes but instead of forming a layer, it seeps into the wood first. you get all the benefits of a lacquer and sealer without sacrificing the natural feel of wood.

I don't know but avoiding a proper wood stainer has given the rifle the look of that cheap Chinese airgun mostly available at children toy stores. don't get me wrong you know I have utmost respect for you. using a wood stainer (available at most hardware stores) to enhance the natural grains of the wood without revealing the open pores would have given better results.

anyways, I like how you employed steaming technique to raise the dents. I too did that once and learned that if you steam the whole wood you can also raise the fibers and then sand them down to get that "smooth as silk" or glass type surface we all love to fee/see on high end shotguns.

Regards.

saad-dlr
24-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Nice and clean job, Well Done :)

Khilji
24-03-2013, 06:44 PM
nice job done dear

TAREEN
25-03-2013, 09:06 AM
AoA Tareen Bhai.

Amazing display of "Do-it-yourself" improvements bro. the pictures are equally awesome as well. I'm sure after the bedding job the accuracy must have improved a lot. now there are a few things on my mind so brace yourself for some constructive criticism. :)

Thanx a lot brother for appreciating the effort & giving it enough thought to come up with suggestions & ideas for all of us to learn & improve.

I would not call it criticism (of any kind), rather, I would call it the opportunity to express why I did, what I did.

In order to do that, I must state my requirements & goals. This should also have gone in the opening post ;-(.

Though I mostly use both of my .22 rifles on bench, they are often used in varminting and that too during night time. While vehicle plays a pivotal role as source of lighting & rifle rest, sometime, trees trunks, dust, and debris gets into contact with the rifle when away from it and need a rest for slightly longer shots.

I have experienced small dings & scratches on wooden stocks no matter how careful I am, and I hate to see a scratch or a ding on the gun like most. That lead me to buy a rifle in polymer stock earlier & I will change my WMR also as & when I find a WMR in polymer stock.

why use lacquer? it feels plastic-like, it will turn opaque over time due to UV damage and in high heat it can turn into a sticky layer of glue. on top of all that, wood shrinks and expands over time, the lacquer being a less elastic surface will eventually peel off. here in my humble opinion, boiled linseed oil would have been better. it also hardens as it polymerizes but instead of forming a layer, it seeps into the wood first. you get all the benefits of a lacquer and sealer without sacrificing the natural feel of wood.

I don't know but avoiding a proper wood stainer has given the rifle the look of that cheap Chinese airgun mostly available at children toy stores. don't get me wrong you know I have utmost respect for you. using a wood stainer (available at most hardware stores) to enhance the natural grains of the wood without revealing the open pores would have given better results.

The is no question & argument about oils being the best application to enhance the looks & grain of the wood. I read about linseed oil application for two days as it was suggested by @PakistanFirst as well. It sure gets hard enough to provide a pretty scratch resistant surface but that process of applying-drying-reapplying... takes about 1 week to 2 months to get to the desired hardness & the finish. I neither have that much patience & time not the quality of wood grain & the value of gun was so much that I should have spent so much of an effort & energy on it.

The reason I used lacquer was for more than one good things about it. Actually you have pointed out all the aspects of it from different angles, so let me add my experience with it here.

Wood inherently is far lesser effected by thermo-dynamics with expansion & contraction being most important of them as compared to metals. So there is way less effect of temperature on wood's expansion than that is of moisture. Moisture does effect woods expansion.

Having said that, auto grade lacquer that has premixed hardener can withstand direct sunlight for many hours daily & temperatures around 40 degrees (c) for roughly 3 years if applied unbaked. Application on heated surface in sun increases it life & if applied in heated chamber, it goes many folds.

Being aerosol with very thin composition, it penetrates deep into the wood closing down all pores & veins that might attract moisture otherwise making it almost perfectly sealed waterproof. I spray lacquer in barrel channel, trigger channel & butt plate base as well as these areas have way more tendency to absorb moisture as compared to a finished outer surface.

anyways, I like how you employed steaming technique to raise the dents. I too did that once and learned that if you steam the whole wood you can also raise the fibers and then sand them down to get that "smooth as silk" or glass type surface we all love to fee/see on high end shotguns.

Regards.

Thank you so much on appreciating this part. It is a flawless and easiest way to get the job done.

In this whole process, what I achieved here was

probably a much accurate rifle due to better fitting feature, proper action bedding & free floating barrel.
A way better looking rifle as compared to the factory finish
Much more resistant to scratches, dings & moisture
All of it in very short time & probably within Rs. 250 with a some of inspiration & lots of perspiration.

TAREEN
25-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Brother @saad-dlr & @Khilji....thank you so much for your kind words.

Atif Bashir
25-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Wonderful work "Sir Tareen", Please also help me to improve the look of my newly purchased BRNO 2 :hug: .

Deathrow
25-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Wow, Superb Job... that was some solid skill

paki.gunner
26-03-2013, 02:29 AM
Excellent Tareen Sb.

TAREEN
26-03-2013, 07:27 AM
Wonderful work "Sir Tareen", Please also help me to improve the look of my newly purchased BRNO 2 :hug: .

'Brother' will be a way bigger honor than being knighted ;-) .

Shall we discuss BRNO 2 online or off-line??? Eagerly looking forward to that!

Wow, Superb Job... that was some solid skill

Thanx a lot brother for kind appreciation.

Excellent Tareen Sb.

Thank you brother. So nice of you.