PDA

View Full Version : Gun storage

ehalin
20-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Dear All,

I am new to the PG forums. I knew about PG during a random search on the interned. I could see that this forum is active since a couple of years. Now I regret why I couldn't find about it earlier. People here are very knowledgeable and sincere to their hobby. I could have get lot of useful information and saved myself from a lot of hassle as well that too just reading through the posts.

I want to ask a question regarding which I couldnt find much information in the forum posts. But forgive me if my querry has been already replied somewhere since I couldn't go through everything.

I have a Browning fusion evolve semi auto shotgun. Due to my other commitments I cant use this often and it is kept stored in its original box most of the time. For storing in the original box the gun has to be dismantled and the barrel separted from the receiver. The owners manual recommends to remove the barrel while the bolt is in locked position rearward. After removing the barrel, I slowly release the bolt in order to avoid its hitting forward since barrel is removed. But this keeps the hammer in cocked position. I am afraid of releasing the hammer in this position by just pulling the trigger and damaging something. The owners manual mentions nothing about the position in which hammer should be while the gun is stored in this way. In my case the hammer always remained cocked. It would have been easier had the gun stored in assembled position since in that case I could use an empty shell or a snap cap and pull the trigger to release the hammer.

Can anybody help me in this regard. Since my gun is most of the time not used and I dont want to ruin it without ever getting a chance to use it whenever I have enough time.

Thanks in advance for the help from all experienced seniors,

12GAUGE
20-12-2012, 01:27 PM
welcome to the forum bro. Leaving hammer cocked for an extended eriod of time is not a good idea. It could weaken then hammer spring/coil. What most semi auto user do is that simply press the trigger and relieve the tension of the hammer spring. Hammer strikes the firing pin thats it. You are not dry firing it where the hammer strikes the firing pin multiple times in a row. Dont worry you wont damage anything.

Regards.

ehalin
21-12-2012, 09:00 AM
welcome to the forum bro. Leaving hammer cocked for an extended eriod of time is not a good idea. It could weaken then hammer spring/coil. What most semi auto user do is that simply press the trigger and relieve the tension of the hammer spring. Hammer strikes the firing pin thats it. You are not dry firing it where the hammer strikes the firing pin multiple times in a row. Dont worry you wont damage anything.

Regards.

Thank you very much @12GAUGE sir. I am also worried that by storing the hammer in cocked position will weaken the spring. There is also no problem in "dry firing" when the gun is assembled. But when the barrel is dis-assembled from the reciever, there is following caution in that case. "If the bolt is released forward with the barrel removed, the cartridge stop will hit the front of the receiver and cause damage." Although I can work around this caution and by grabbing the bolt handle and slowly releasing it so that it doesn't hit the front of the receiver. This releases the tension on the recoil spring but hammer still remains cocked. Now at this point I am worried to release the hammer by just pressing the trigger since bolt is already not at its place and is loose. Please help me in this regard. otherwise I am planning to buy another case and store the gun assembled.

Thanks,

arawan
21-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Just hold the bolt a little away from the receiver and the pull the triger, simple.....

12GAUGE
21-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Thank you very much @12GAUGE sir. I am also worried that by storing the hammer in cocked position will weaken the spring. There is also no problem in "dry firing" when the gun is assembled. But when the barrel is dis-assembled from the reciever, there is following caution in that case. "If the bolt is released forward with the barrel removed, the cartridge stop will hit the front of the receiver and cause damage." Although I can work around this caution and by grabbing the bolt handle and slowly releasing it so that it doesn't hit the front of the receiver. This releases the tension on the recoil spring but hammer still remains cocked. Now at this point I am worried to release the hammer by just pressing the trigger since bolt is already not at its place and is loose. Please help me in this regard. otherwise I am planning to buy another case and store the gun assembled.

Thanks,

Dont worry bro, you are on a right track. just grab the bolt and slowly assist it forward after pressing bolt release. then press the trigger. Simple!
Regards.

ehalin
21-12-2012, 03:34 PM
@12Gauge, arawan, Many thanks. I will try that. Regards,

Cool Hunter
21-12-2012, 04:04 PM
welcome brother to pakguns

ehalin
24-12-2012, 08:33 AM
welcome brother to pakguns

Thanks a lot. Looking forward to a nice company on this forum.

ehalin
24-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Dont worry bro, you are on a right track. just grab the bolt and slowly assist it forward after pressing bolt release. then press the trigger. Simple!
Regards.

Already did that. Everything ok. Now the worry is gone.

Taking the opprotunity I fired about 20 Shaheen #4 and #6 cartridges. No FTF or FTE. And gave the gun a thorough cleaning as well.

Your help is really appreciated.

s.jawad
24-12-2012, 09:04 PM
ehalin brother wellcome to PG.
Regards