PDA

View Full Version : what to use to degrease a gun?

babaz7
03-12-2012, 09:05 AM
what should i use to degrease a gun?

i looked for rubbing alcohol in diffrent medical shops but they didnt have that, they just had the rubbing alcohol pads, but i want in liquid form.

a friend told me to use thinner, but im not sure, will it effect the bluing on the gun and do something to the polymer frame?

what do you use to degrease a gun?

sharpshooter2010
03-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Thinner and patrol is not good for paint etc .

use diesal it will do good job .

HussainAli
03-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Dear Babaz7 Brother, I use Diesal to wash and clean, and Nasa Rest-O-Nil after coat, will do the best...

Rest will damage either the bluing or the plastic parts of your Gun...

Hope it clears !!!

Regards

12GAUGE
03-12-2012, 10:59 AM
what should i use to degrease a gun?

i looked for rubbing alcohol in diffrent medical shops but they didnt have that, they just had the rubbing alcohol pads, but i want in liquid form.

a friend told me to use thinner, but im not sure, will it effect the bluing on the gun and do something to the polymer frame?

what do you use to degrease a gun?

Bro, the answer here depends upon the level degreasing you want. if you to degrease only to clean then Kerosene is pretty good enough. if you want to refinish or paint it then you need some stronger solvent. I would recommend Brake Cleaner. it is safe on metal/bluing but not for paint, plastic or wood.

thinner is also safe on bluing but keep it away from paint, plastic/polymer and wood.

Regards.

Enigmatic Desires
03-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Why degrease at all. i mean sir what are the advantages?

atiq
03-12-2012, 07:33 PM
The best degreasing is done by firstly disassembly then wiping with alcohol swabs; the rinse the gun with hot boiling water. This simply turns the grease to oil and makes it wash away.. through drying with hair dryer; then again use alcohol swabs to clean the gun.. REMEMBER to clean the nooks and corners properly.. and thoroughly.. then apply wd-40 or any other such liquid.
I prefer Loosen it; it has lesser chemicals and feels a lot more oily. Wd40 has more deoxidizing agents in it and is an overkill.
then use a gun oil or linseed oil to oil the gun then wipe clean. lastly assemble the gun and then oil only the parts necessary

Nazim Sahib
04-12-2012, 09:09 AM
I think ordinary gun oil does a fine job.Whenever i use to travel i used to grease my guns.now I dont bother but it was a very good habit of mine.

American Lockpicker
06-12-2012, 12:02 AM
I use Birchwood Casey degreaser.

joney
18-12-2012, 08:32 PM
I've a question here.

Why do we grease the gun? i mean if we intend not to use the weapon for a long time right??

I've got my first handgun but didn't even fire a single shot. still don't have plan for a month or two to use it. I just d-assembled and assembled it back after reviewing the parts i.e barrel/slide/inside the frame etc.

what should i do with it?? should i grease the parts? if yes, which one?

Will be thank ful for help in this regard :)

babaz7
19-12-2012, 11:10 AM
I've a question here.

Why do we grease the gun? i mean if we intend not to use the weapon for a long time right??

I've got my first handgun but didn't even fire a single shot. still don't have plan for a month or two to use it. I just d-assembled and assembled it back after reviewing the parts i.e barrel/slide/inside the frame etc.

what should i do with it?? should i grease the parts? if yes, which one?

Will be thank ful for help in this regard :)

ok your first question, why do we degrease a gun, well the grease i use with my guns says to degrease the gun before you grease it so it doesnt mix with other oils or carbon that was present before...

and bro i think you should fire atleast 2 magazines from your new gun just to make sure it fires and functions properly, if it doesnt atleat you can take it back and exchange it, otherwise if you take it after months time i dont think he will exchange the weapon, when i purchase any weapon i fire atleast 100 rounds through it within a week of purchasing it,...

and yes i think you should grease the parts so it doesnt catch rust, it doesnt matter if your using it or not...if you grease it it will protect your gun, and the parts you grease is the slides and the barrel, not inside the barrel but outside the barrel and all other contact points where metal scrubs on metal..

PsiFactor
19-12-2012, 11:39 AM
use kerosene oil for De-greasing we use that to degrease Aks.

joney
19-12-2012, 09:42 PM
ok your first question, why do we degrease a gun, well the grease i use with my guns says to degrease the gun before you grease it so it doesnt mix with other oils or carbon that was present before...

and bro i think you should fire atleast 2 magazines from your new gun just to make sure it fires and functions properly, if it doesnt atleat you can take it back and exchange it, otherwise if you take it after months time i dont think he will exchange the weapon, when i purchase any weapon i fire atleast 100 rounds through it within a week of purchasing it,...

and yes i think you should grease the parts so it doesnt catch rust, it doesnt matter if your using it or not...if you grease it it will protect your gun, and the parts you grease is the slides and the barrel, not inside the barrel but outside the barrel and all other contact points where metal scrubs on metal..

THanks brother,

i am planning to check this atleast for the first time :).

do also let me know the purpose of Silica Gel? and where do i get it from??

Dragg3r
20-12-2012, 05:00 AM
THanks brother,

i am planning to check this atleast for the first time :).

do also let me know the purpose of Silica Gel? and where do i get it from??

silica gel is used as dehumidifier...meaning it will absorb moisture which may cause rust or other corrosion .....you may find that in some new electronics items that you buy or you should be able to get them from some stores as well just the silica it self ...

kindly correct me if im wrong ...

joney
20-12-2012, 08:21 PM
silica gel is used as dehumidifier...meaning it will absorb moisture which may cause rust or other corrosion .....you may find that in some new electronics items that you buy or you should be able to get them from some stores as well just the silica it self ...

kindly correct me if im wrong ...

Yeah bro, i got it.

Infact, i usually see silica gel packets in usual routine but didn't even noticed. As m attached with telecom field, so i've seen alot of new equipment/hardwares newly packed and couple of white packets of silica gell in it. :)

Raja Talat Mahmood
21-12-2012, 11:00 PM
diesel is very good for oiling and lubricating.it takes long time gun lubricated and gun became rustfree.because it is realy oily fluid

ReversEngineer
22-12-2012, 04:32 PM
if brother allow, i would like to post few comments on discussion
- diesel comes in oil category but a hydrocabon substance and not advisable to be used with explosives involved parts (to me guns etc are just like machines and parts)
- diesels can serve as lubricating oils but for enclosed environments bcoz it has vv good friendship with environmental contaminants (like nitrogen, oxygen, sulfer and the dust etc)
- infact u will be shortening the life of your machine

ReversEngineer
22-12-2012, 04:56 PM
use kerosene oil for De-greasing we use that to degrease Aks.
Kerosene is the best degreaser for users; even small setups of re-bluing/blackening (phosphating etc) use kerosene for degreasing the parts prior to small arms refreshing chemical processes. Moreover it is "Mill standards" recommended solvent cleaning procedure for such applications...