PDA

View Full Version : Scary Experiance With My PT99

raptor69
22-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Recently had a very scary experience with my PT99 which literally shook me. I was on my farms & decided to do a little target practice. The very first shot that i fired failed to go off properly. Instead of the sound of a proper fire a small cracker like popping sound came & along with it i felt stinging sensation on my face & right eye. I was quite confused, "what the hell happened". Slide had also failed to move backward & the round also didn't ejected. So i disassembled the gun. Found the fired round inside & it came out easily but the projectile was stuck inside the barrel. Tried to push it out with a rod but it wouldn't move. Didn't forced it as i was not clear as what had happened, why & how to handle it. It was Russian Barnaul round & had never faced any problem with this ammo.

http://s12.postimage.org/pxh79shih/IMAG0147.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/pxh79shih/)

http://s13.postimage.org/4co7kv2gz/IMAG0148.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/4co7kv2gz/)

http://s9.postimage.org/j355q507v/IMAG0142.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/j355q507v/)

Need help from seniors. What the hell happened, why & what to do now? Bullet is still stuck inside the barrel.

Faisji
22-11-2012, 09:52 AM
This is looks like a under-charged round called squib and is often seen in reloaded rounds.I am not not sure where you got the bullets from but don't use them any more.

To get the bullet out you need a metal rod and a mallet and insert the rod fron the barrel-end not the chamber and tap the bullet until it goes backward to wards the chamber to get it out.Also need to inspect he barrel for bulging or cracks and that will need a expert hand.

PsiFactor
22-11-2012, 10:17 AM
This is looks like a under-charged round called squib and is often seen in reloaded rounds.I am not not sure where you got the bullets from but don't use them any more.

To get the bullet out you need a metal rod and a mallet and insert the rod fron the barrel-end not the chamber and tap the bullet until it goes backward to wards the chamber to get it out.Also need to inspect he barrel for bulging or cracks and that will need a expert hand.
1+
Fasji bro i agree with you .
@RAPTOR69 you must take the AK 47 rod(which is under AK barrel ,Type 56 chines or Russian Ak) for tapping it is good for taking out such a stuff.

12GAUGE
22-11-2012, 10:17 AM

Bro, I could be wrong but aren't you supposed to insert metal rod from chamber end only and tap out the projectile from muzzle end?

this way one accomplishes two things:

1. protect the muzzle against any possible damage.
2. protect rifling by tapping in the direction of the projectile flight.

Regards.

Faisji
22-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Bro, I could be wrong but aren't you supposed to insert metal rod from chamber end only and tap out the projectile from muzzle end?

Regards.

This is recommended way for removal because in case the bullet is over bulged then it will not damage the rifling all the way and turn the pistol into a key-holing spud-gun
The bullet in this case seems to lodged closer to chamber than the front end so we need to sent it out the least distance and dislodge it.
Also tapping the back end of of a soft core bullet is the fastest way to lodge it eve more tightly.

Faisji
22-11-2012, 10:31 AM
1+
Fasji bro i agree with you .
@RAPTOR69 you must take the AK 47 rod(which is under AK barrel ,Type 56 chines or Russian Ak) for tapping it is good for taking out such a stuff.

Also make sure the rod end is wrapped in cleaning cloth/gauze so to make it it a snug fit so it doesn't wobble around and damage the rifling on the barrel.

If you can find a wooden stick that is thinner than the barrel (8.5mm it would be the best).tapping it gently with the mallet is the trick you want the bullet to roll back on rifling it has already climbed.

OP Id the ammo so others on the forum are careful about using it.

PsiFactor
22-11-2012, 10:35 AM

Regards.
no, it will take tooo much of workout. Taking out bullet from the chamber will not take that much workout.

raptor69
22-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Also need to inspect he barrel for bulging or cracks and that will need a expert hand.

Yes & for that i need an expert gunsmith. Just found out about one here in Gizri. I think it would be better to let him extract the bullet & than do the checking. I don't want to damage the rifling of the barrel due to my inexperience.

Denovo87
22-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Experienced the same incident with Glock17 (gave details somewhere here in 2010), its ammo and most probable reason of a round behaving like this is improper (loose...) seating of projectile.

One has to be bit brave while removing stuck projectile as it takes bit hammering or heavy tapping with hammer from the chamber side; you can use a screw driver as it doesn't slip from the base of projectile when is hit with small hammer as a round rod can slip and hit barrel. Use soft padding to seat barrel on, two hands to hold barrel steady n straight, one hand to hold screw driver and one hand to hammer/tap; so basically its two people job. I would not recommend using vice to hold barrel for obvious reasons.

That is how I did it piratically using AK47 bro's hands to hold the barrel and mine to do tapping, without damage of of any kind to the barrel.

On bulging or cracking the barrel; I dont think this type of khusra round can do any damage to the barrel ;)

Denovo87
22-11-2012, 12:07 PM
And donot tap bullet from muzzle end as it will not transfer full force to bullet & you will get more than half of hits ending on the riffling, bullet being oval shaped from front and possibility of damaging muzzle crown is very high by going through this route.

I also will suggest (rather insist) doing it yourself as its your gun and no gunsmith can take better care of your gun than yourself.

12GAUGE
22-11-2012, 12:12 PM
This is recommended way for removal because in case the bullet is over bulged then it will not damage the rifling all the way and turn the pistol into a key-holing spud-gun
The bullet in this case seems to lodged closer to chamber than the front end so we need to sent it out the least distance and dislodge it.
Also tapping the back end of of a soft core bullet is the fastest way to lodge it eve more tightly.

Bro, kindly allow me to post a few links for reference. you'll see that almost everybody recommends pushing the stuck bullet from the breach to make it come out of the muzzle.

"Insert the dowel into the barrel from the breech end and tap the back of the dowel with a mallet. Keep tapping the dowel until the stuck bullet falls out the front of the barrel. For bullets that are stuck much closer to the breech, or for a revolver where access from the breech end is impossible, insert the dowel from the muzzle end and tap toward the breech." (http://www.ehow.com/how_8087697_remove-stuck-bullet-barrel.html)

and

"My friend had tried unsuccessfully to drive the bullet out with a cleaning rod from the muzzle. I generally find that it’s best not to apply force to the front end of a stuck bullet" (http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01/03/gunsmithing_1106/)

Regards.

Faisji
22-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Bro, kindly allow me to post a few links for reference. you'll see that almost everybody recommends pushing the stuck bullet from the breach to make it come out of the muzzle.

"Insert the dowel into the barrel from the breech end and tap the back of the dowel with a mallet. Keep tapping the dowel until the stuck bullet falls out the front of the barrel. For bullets that are stuck much closer to the breech, or for a revolver where access from the breech end is impossible, insert the dowel from the muzzle end and tap toward the breech." (http://www.ehow.com/how_8087697_remove-stuck-bullet-barrel.html)

and

"My friend had tried unsuccessfully to drive the bullet out with a cleaning rod from the muzzle. I generally find that it’s best not to apply force to the front end of a stuck bullet" (http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01/03/gunsmithing_1106/)

Regards.

It's internet i am sure there is magic incantation there as well for bullet removal.What i am recommending is what i have seen done more than a few times.

Also if the bullet is 1 inch up the barrel why force all the way through the 5 inch barrel?

Denovo87
22-11-2012, 02:23 PM
It's internet i am sure there is magic incantation there as well for bullet removal.What i am recommending is what i have seen done more than a few times.

Also if the bullet is 1 inch up the barrel why force all the way through the 5 inch barrel?

Since I did it (although not more than once) myself; I know one has to drive a stuck bullet out by pushing it to the direction it is made to travel to. Forcing it backward using mallet/hammer is not only very difficult due to bullet shape but not good for barrel itself.
When I tried pushing bullet backward I couldnot move it even a millimeter but as soon as I flipped the barrel over bullet kept traveling forward with each hit.

As I explained in my earlier post you dont get a flat area where your driving tool (was a screw driver in my case) can transfer force at tip of bullet (having round shape & a metal jecket over it) so tool gets slipping with every hit; beside that back of bullet is flat (with collar of metal jacket) that crumbles from the corners with very first backward hit making further travel near to impossible using Mallet n rod method, although its possible to drive bullet backward but one has to use a special jig with an exact size rod (size of the barrel) driven with consistent pushing force (like we do to drive sights out).

Dr Zakir
22-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Always use quality ammo

Moeen
22-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Salam All,
+1 Dr. Zakir, Denovo 87, and ++++1 12Gauge.
Best take a wooden dowel stick it in the chamber end and hammer it through. The brazing already done by the bullet is directional kind of like when you poke a brass brush into the barrel to clean - you can't pull it back half way.... Hammering through the path will guide it out easily. Secondly, a dud, squib or aka whatever... under powered ammo will NOT damage barrel unless the user fires another round behind it. So unless you have managed to do the latter and still have an intact barrel then look for buldging, otherwise go on with the show.

raptor69
23-11-2012, 12:34 PM
under powered ammo will NOT damage barrel unless the user fires another round behind it. So unless you have managed to do the latter and still have an intact barrel then look for buldging, otherwise go on with the show.
You are right Moeen bro. my barrel is completely intact, no damage at all. I have it checked by a gun smith & he has assured me that it is in perfect working condition.
So, by the grace of GOD iam safe & my gun is ok too, now i can say all is well that ends well.
Thank you all for your feedback, guidance & well wishes.

sharpshooter2010
23-11-2012, 01:04 PM
What if you put a round which is fully charged but the projectile is removed . after firing it let the powder do its job .

arawan
23-11-2012, 06:01 PM
I wish to add that the barrel should be lubricated in front of the bullet so that it shall be moved easily.

Trajan
23-11-2012, 07:40 PM
save yourself the hassles and go to the gunsmith in gizri. He will clear out the issue professionally and w/out any arguments of which side to tap and what to use. Just stay with him when you hand over your barrel and ensure that the work gets done in front of you. The guys are pretty overwhelmed with other work and sometimes leaving items there ensures that work is just delayed needlessly. This is hunting season so everyone of influence in that area is up there getting their work done first ...

sadatpk
23-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Raptor 69,pls dry barrel before firing and there should be top quality ammo like S&b ,PPu should be used or minimum chinese red box,u will never face such kind pf trouble br in future INshaAllah

Ap@ch3
23-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Barnaul is pretty good ammo too, have used a whole box with my 99 ... dont know what the hell happened here :S

Ameer
26-11-2012, 04:16 PM
This is the second thread with the same bad experience having the common culprit "Barnaul".

Abu Al Hawl
27-11-2012, 12:24 AM
raptor bro, the projectile has made its way inside the groves like it has been screwed/twisted in, hammering it back even by an expert gun smith will ruin your barrel's groves, now some how the projectile need to be unscrewed/twisted back. thanks.

12GAUGE
27-11-2012, 12:48 AM
What if you put a round which is fully charged but the projectile is removed . after firing it let the powder do its job .

in my humble opinion, with the projectile removed there will not be enough pressure to do anything.

Max Scenario: the propellant gets thrown/launched inside the barrel. it will only burn partially, making a mess everywhere and cleaning job difficult. in any case: there will not be enough barrel pressure to dislodge the projectile.

save yourself the hassles and go to the gunsmith in gizri. He will clear out the issue professionally and w/out any arguments of which side to tap and what to use. Just stay with him when you hand over your barrel and ensure that the work gets done in front of you. The guys are pretty overwhelmed with other work and sometimes leaving items there ensures that work is just delayed needlessly. This is hunting season so everyone of influence in that area is up there getting their work done first ...

Bro, where's the fun in that? ;)

in my humble opinion, a true firearm enthusiast would intentionally screw up something inside his/her firearm only to fix it afterwards. :)

why? cause ITS INTOXICATING!

Regards.

Avais
28-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Faced the same problem with my MAK. Projectile was easily removed from the muzzle side with a four head screw driver and a small hammer. We can fix the sharp edge of 4 head screw driver exactly in the center of projectile and this will save the grooves of barrel.

Ch_Adnan
29-11-2012, 10:40 PM

+++100%
i do this on my 30bor pak made and save my berrel.

Jibz
30-11-2012, 10:36 PM
I dont think this type of khusra round can do any damage to the barrel ;)

That's Hilarious, Sir... :)

380ACP
27-08-2013, 02:55 PM
the good thing is that the empty didnt eject and no further round was chambered if you have fired another round when one was already struck in chamber I feel shiver to imagine any further

Enigmatic Desires
27-08-2013, 03:30 PM
the good thing is that the empty didnt eject and no further round was chambered if you have fired another round when one was already struck in chamber I feel shiver to imagine any further

A metal flower would be my guess.. for starters...

380ACP
27-08-2013, 04:22 PM
shooter can loose an eye and in some cases get killed

pisces007
27-08-2013, 05:34 PM
NOW PT 99 :noidea:

380ACP
27-08-2013, 06:17 PM
in this case it was ammo not handgun pisces

pisces007
27-08-2013, 06:33 PM
thank you bro...
in this case it was ammo not handgun pisces

380ACP
27-08-2013, 06:43 PM
younare welcome brother between is this you in avatar pointing a gun at me ?

pisces007
27-08-2013, 06:44 PM
nope bro just like dis one...:)
younare welcome brother between is this you in avatar pointing a gun at me ?